REALITY CHECK - PARKS in Kolkata

KOLKATA PARKS

REALITY CHECK


It's kinda ironical when we see Indian teenagers or bachelors dreaming about kissing their loved one on midnight of new year's Eve since people here don't even like teenage boys and girls walking together.
Recently I was walking down the streets of saltlake Kolkata on a cold December Eve with my earphones plugged in. It was eight-ish and I decided to enjoy some good music and alone time in a park.  I entered the park to notice a couple sitting on a swing talking and laughing hard. Well, when I was admiring how happy they looked, suddenly I noticed 3 tall moustached men walking towards them in anger. At first I thought, maybe it's their parents or something who are against there
Later did I realize it was some local public who had issues since they were sitting their holding each other's hand.
Since I was sitting at a distant, I wasn't able to over hear what they said to them. But I noticed the way they said it. It was full of anger. And in a very insulting. Way, told the couple to leave the place and never come back again. Just because according to the elders, they are spreading negative vibes to the world.
I noticed the look on the couple's faces, full of embarrassment and sadness, though they didn't 'do' anything wrong there relationship (becoz in India this happens alot).
That's when it hit me, in a country where girls are so unsafe due to so many prevalent practices like rape, molestation and domestic violence,Two people holding hands in public is a crime. Just becoz they thought it was spreading a negative impact on the society.
A country, full of people with these kind of mentality is so-not going in the right direction.(It’s just my opinion so no offence).

2 comments: